Everything about Kauri Cliffs is first class – Everything!
From the moment I arrived at Kauri Cliffs and was greeted by the head concierge and given a guided tour of the world class luxury lodge I was hooked.
Kauri Cliffs is situated 30 minutes north of Kerikeri in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand – a short chopper ride from Auckland or for those not so fortunate a three and a half hour car ride.
In my opinion this is one of those times where the destination is better than the journey and one I will be talking about for years to come – quite possibly Kauri Cliffs is as close to golfing heaven as you can get.
Kauri Cliffs occupies an old sheep station atop an ocean-front plateau and has 15 holes with amazing water views, expansive canyons, hills of native rough, stands of fern and several large carries over gorges and was recently ranked 39th in the world by US Golf Digest magazine.
PGA Tour star Brandt Snedeker calls Kauri Cliffs “Pebble Beach on steroids”.
Seriously it’s hard to pick a stand out hole – because they are all stand out holes!
The 510 metre par 5, 4th named “Cambo” after famous kiwi golfer Michael Campbell would have to be one of the most picturesque par 5’s in the world.
The 201 metre par 3, 7th aptly named “Cavalli” after the Cavalli islands in the distance would also rank as one of the world’s most spectacular par 3’s, not to mention the 8th tee box which is set on the cliff’s edge, above the pacific ocean.
The 33 metre par 4, 10th is very unique as it has a blind tee off down into a beautiful native tree lined fairway and surrounded by a crowd of 22 luxury cottages and the owners suite which hosts many a great cocktail party and nearest the pin competitions down to the 10th green. The tenth is also drivable in one – which I managed to do and putt an eagle for the show.
The 9th and 18th holes head up the hill towards the lodge and both have massive carries over fern lined gorges only accessible by rustic, railway sleeper style bridges.
Kauri Cliffs is so much more than just a world class golf course -when you are not playing golf there is:
- Beach fishing at Pink Beach,
- The Kauri tree and waterfall walks / mountain bike rides,
- The scenic helicopter flights to the northern most tip of New Zealand – Cape Reinga,
- Big game fishing,
- Hunting, snorkelling, diving, and sea kayaking,
- Swimming, picnics and bbqs on the three secluded beaches,
- The unique putting competition for guests on Tuesday nights,
- The 22 five star guest cottages and regal owner’s suite,
- The incredible gourmet cuisine,
- The view from the lodge balcony at sunrise, as you enjoy your breakfast, or of the moon at night as you enjoy your cocktails,
- The luxury day spa set into the native forest,
- Not to mention the friendliness and attentiveness of the lodge staff and pro shop attendants…
Even having to wear jackets in the lodge for dinner adds to the incredible aura and character that makes up the “Colonial meets the Hamptons” Kauri Cliffs experience.
Kauri Cliffs is the vision of Rock Star Wall Street Hedge Fund Manager Julian Roberston and was borne out of a quest to find the safest place in the world to live.
At Kauri Cliffs you will not only feel safe but the experience will leave you feeling like you are the most important person in the world.
Written by Andrew Mirror” McCombe
For more information visit www.KauriCliffs.com